Monday, December 17, 2012

Beauty Products and Asthma

Recently my asthma has been acting up and has affected my normal routines, including what makeup products I can use. While I know the make-up it isn't life invading like missing work, going to the ER and spending big money on medicine, it is still a part of my life that asthma is making difficult.

Of course when the doctor says no hairspray, perfume, makeup powders, nail polish etc.etc. a person feels like they are going to be walking out into public looking like the bride of Frankenstein. According to the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology "One in 12 people (about 25 million, or 8% of the U.S. population) had asthma in 2009" and "In 2008 less than half of people with asthma reported being taught how to avoid triggers. Almost half (48%) of adults who were taught how to avoid triggers did not follow most of this advice." Wow! It's scary not being able to breathe! Personally I would avoid rather triggers as much as possible, and that is including a change in my beauty routine. So then the question arises, "What can I do instead" That inspired me to write this post on things I use when my asthma is flaring up.

Here are some things that worked for me:

Foundation- Instead of powder or pressed powder which you can breathe the little particles in when you are applying and trigger asthma attacks, try using a cream to powder such as Urban Decay Surreal Skin Cream to Powder Foundation or DiorSkin Nude Natural Cream Makeup. You could also use a tinted moisturizer or a BB Cream. I don't recommend a liquid foundation because for good staying power it needs to be set with powder-which we are trying to avoid. :)
Shown Here: Neutrogena Cream to Powder Foundation, Haskin BB Cream

Eye Shadow- They make a lot of cream eye shadows that you can use like Benefit Ceaseless Cream Shadow/Liner and NARS Soft Touch Shadow Pencil.

Shown Here: Chanel, Jane Iredale, Milani, Stila, Victoria's Secret and Clinique

Blush- Cream Blushes are all very popular right now. You could try one like Clinique Blushwear Cream Stick or NARS The Multiple, which you can also use as lip color. 
Shown Here: Clinique Blushwear Cream Stick and Josie Maran Argan Color Stick. (Please note this smells a bit like tea tree oil so if that smell will bother you then don't use this one.)

Hair is a little bit of a different story. Some people are bothered by smells and other people are bothered by the aerosol sprays. I am more bothered by sprays and am able to use gel and mousse to style my hair with. However if that is not something you are able to do Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel can be used as a hair gel and is unscented. It is also great on sunburns!
Shown here: Redken Aerate 08 Bodifying Cream Mousse, Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, Sunsilk Captivating Curls Mousse, Victoria's Secret Very Sexy Styling Gel, MHZ Heat Soothing Balm

Finally nails- This Saturday I had an event that I needed to go to and was not about to go with out doing my nails in someway. I bought the Kiss Stick on Nail Strips because they are a sticker and not "nail polish strips" like some brands. I was worried those would have a smell to it.

I picked these up at Dollar General for $3. They are nail stickers and there is no need to put a top coat on. You just stick, shape and trim. There is NO smell to these at all and it looks really good on. It lasts longer then nail polish does too. Usually by day 3 of a manicure nail polish is chipping off my nails already. Today is day 3 of wearing these and they look just as good now as when I first put them on.

Anyway I hope these ideas help you out. Remember to always check with your doctor and if you think even for one second that something is bothering your asthma stop using it right away! Nothing is worth having an asthma attack for.

Later all!
PBB

No comments:

Post a Comment